Campus Martius, Piazza di Pietra, Rome
Proconnesian, giallo antico, peperino marble, bricks.
SHA, Life of Antoninus Pius 8; Life of Verus 3.
The Temple of Divus Hadrianus, or Hadrianeum, was dedicated by Antoninus Pius in 145 CE, in the central area of the Campus Martius, not far away from the Pantheon and the Temple of Matidia. The temple was part of a complex that was entered through a monumental gate, located in the Via Lata. The gate was flanked by two columns, and topped by an archway. The arch was decorated with two reliefs, which today are conserved in the Museo dei Conservatori and the Palazzo Torlonia respectively. A portico, which enclosed the temple, created an inner square, which measured 1000 x 90 m. The squared temenos was surrounded by an outer wall, and an inner portico of columns in yellow marble, or giallo antico. On the northern and southern sides of the temenos stood two exedrae, similar to those erected in the Forum of Mars Ultor, where courts of law were probably located. The temple, which was laid out on an east-west axis, stood on a high podium, with a flight of steps located in the front of the building. The façade of this octastyle peripteral temple, built in the Corinthian order, was made up of eight columns, with fifteen white Proconnesian columns on each of the long sides. The walls of the rectangular cella were decorated with peperino marble slabs, while the ceiling was covered by a barrel vault, decorated with coffers or sunken panels. A series of marble panels and pedestals from the attic of the porticus have also been excavated, which appear to have been decorated with personifications of the provinces of the empire in relief (see Claridge, Rome, p. 223-225; Parisi Presicce, “The enclosure of the Hadrianeum,” p. 76-108 for excavation and structural history).